Re: The New Kid | Teen Ink

Re: The New Kid

By NSchubert SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
NSchubert SILVER, Defiance, Ohio

"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me."

In the writing titled "The New Kid" written by Sousan R., I felt a sense of "been there, experienced that."  

Her writing about starting in a new school left me feeling how I had felt when I had started a new school four times!  

I hadn't moved countries like Sousan, but I had gone eight hours away, from my home in Virginia all the way to Ohio.  I can relate, as I felt my move had "abruptly shifted my life" as it had hers.  Starting a new school is most definately is a terrifying experience:  not knowing where to go, worrying about not making any new friends, etc.  

That's what I feel the author does so well: perfectly conveys the worries of starting a new school.  

Describing everthing from the name mispronounciation, to sitting alone, to "facing my mom's endless questions" reaches out to anyone who has started a new school and puts them right back in that desk on their first day surrounded by unfamiliar faces.

I was inspired to write this piece after reading "The New Kid" by Sousan R., and feeling as I had when I started a new school.