Review of An Abundance of Katherines by Haley Child | Teen Ink

Review of An Abundance of Katherines by Haley Child

By SSL-TT GOLD, New York City, New York
SSL-TT GOLD, New York City, New York

When I flipped through this month's Teen Ink issue, my eyes landed on Haley Childs' review of "An Abundance of Katherines" by John Green. You see, I have a pretty strong opinion about this book and I was interested in what Haley had to say. Her review described how the book was a letdown and boring. Nonetheless, by the end of her piece, I was both slightly happy and very disappointed.

When I said I was slightly happy, I meant that I was pleased to find someone with similar opinions. I too found the book boring and a letdown. I'm typically a fast reader and usually finish a book within a couple of days or a week. When I picked up "An Abundance of Katherines," I was intrigued by the blurb and excited as I have enjoyed other works by John Green. Nevertheless, it took me about a month to get through the book. By the middle, I was forcing myself to read it in hopes that it'll get better. It never did and I was quite dissatisfied.

While I agree with Haley's points, I wish she was more specific. Her third paragraph is pretty general. For example, she said, "The romance was sort of good, and certain points of the rising and falling action had their fun moments." I understand if she doesn't want to spoil the book, but I personally think it would be better if she included an example to back up her opinions. It would strengthen her argument and help readers who don't know or haven't read "An Abundance of Katherines." Additionally, she could elaborate more. How exactly were the in-the-moment parts not good? Overall, what made the book so boring? Speaking of boring, Haley uses that word frequently without really explaining herself.

I'm not doubting Haley has a good point. In fact, I'm sure she does as she dedicated her time to write a review. However, she comes off as impacient and naive.