$19,000,000,000,000 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“$19,000,000,000,000” by Sabrina Fuller tackles a topic I hadn’t even thought of – the national debt. Previously, I imagined the amount of money the U.S. owed other countries was a few billion, right? When I saw 12 zeros, I realized that our country’s debt is off the charts! Why wasn’t I aware of this? More importantly, are politicians aware? Or at least, why don’t they talk about it?

I really liked the short paragraph near the beginning when Sabrina wrote, “And what honestly is so terrifying about the growing national debt is that almost no one seems to be acknowledging it.” It really is scary that a number that large doesn’t get anyone worried. The piece got me thinking about the consequences of the national debt; Sabrina even provided a couple of not-so-comforting examples.

Sabrina brilliantly tied up the topic with the upcoming elections. National debt is critical to how our country will function in the future, and the presidential candidates should be prepared to do something about it. Sabrina brought a crucial topic to light. Although I can’t vote yet, I hope this is an issue that others consider when voting.