Feedback on "Memes" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Memes"

By Derp_de_Herp GOLD, New York, New York
Derp_de_Herp GOLD, New York, New York

"Memes" by Veronica Church is an incredibly deep poem. The piece is self-explanatory based on the title; simply put, it is about memes. More specifically, Church expresses three main things. These are how strong her love for memes are, how it relates to her life, and a comparison to a meme. Once one breaks down the haiku-like poem line-by-line, the hidden deepness it can be seen a lot more clearly. 

The first line, "Make life meme-ingful" incorporates several techniques in a handful of words. For one, it serves as a thesis of sorts, in the sense that it tells the reader that Church enjoys memes in her life right off the bat. In addition, the line shows how memes relate to Church's life in particular. Lastly, there is a short and sweet pun. The next line reads, "Jet fuel can't melt steel beams" is a reference to a popular internet meme and an example of what exactly Church writes about-you might find the same phrase plastered on YouTube comments and the like. However, Church takes the meme one step further by using it to emphasize her intense love for memes with the following line, "or my love for memes." The comparison made is especially strong because, if jet fuel can't melt steel beams, which are obviously quite strong, then how can they melt her love for memes, which would supposedly be stronger? Overall, this poem was of amazing quality and appears innocuous on the surface, but, in reality, reveals plenty about its author.