Feedback on A Stupid Mistake | Teen Ink

Feedback on A Stupid Mistake

By Satsuki SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Satsuki SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

"A Stupid Mistake" by Samantha Harmon, is a piece about a mistake that the narrator regretted.  One day, the narrator had called her boyfriend to pick her up at night instead of her parents since she didn't want to wake them up.  As they were driving, they all of a sudden slammed into a pole.  When she asked her boyfriend if he was okay, he said he was fine which made the narrator realize something.  He was drunk.  As police officers and neighbors came, the narrator became more scared, realizing how drunk her boyfriend was and felt insecure.  This mistake made her realize how drinking could be such a serious problem.  This piece really gives the audience a lesson and makes them want to be more careful about their choices.

I felt that this piece was very strong.  It shows how sometimes when you make mistakes, it can be too late.  In the piece it states,"It's crazy how one hour, one minute, or even one second can change your life."  This made me really reflect on my own decisions.  It makes me wonder if sometimes if I didn't make a mistake from before, would I still be who I am?  It made me feel more conscious of my own choices and thoughts.  This piece really demonstrated well how making decisions is important and how much we can learn from our mistakes.