"Drive" by Alexandra Deutsch | Teen Ink

"Drive" by Alexandra Deutsch

May 8, 2016
By RockyLightwood GOLD, New York City, New York
RockyLightwood GOLD, New York City, New York
18 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
― Dr. Seuss


     "Drive" by Alexandra Deutsch is about the author's mom. Alexandra starts off by talking about her twin sister and then transitions into her uncle. She explains how her uncle and her mom are similar and different. For example, " While my uncle can be seen as nerdy, my mom has combined her brains with her heart to create carefree elegance that only glitches at night, when we lie on her bed with the dog beneath the covers and my sister downstairs" describes how her mom is perfect until at night.
     My favorite part of this piece is when the author talks about how children are selfish. " My mom and only my mom, she as a person never crossed my mind. Just like any other child, her world seemed to be of my world, and mine revolved around me. Kids are shallow people" explains that Alexandra never really thought about her mom. Everything was about her. Most kids are like this, especially me. I've always thought everything I did was important and I didn't consider how my mom felt. For example, my mom would come back from the hospitable, tired and exhausted, but I didn't see that. Instead, I'd ask her help on a math problem. However, my mother didn't refused, instead she helped me until I understood how to do it. Looking back now, I realized how selfish I've been. Now, I plan to think about her feelings before I act.