Feedback on "What I Hear When You Say It" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "What I Hear When You Say It"

By noserp GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
noserp GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

In the moving article "What I Hear When You Say It," Hope Kurth recounts a childhood episode that forced her to become aware of the hurtful, insulting word "retarded." While eating in her school lunch room, a fellow student asks if her brother (who has Down's syndrome) is "retarded." From that point on, Kurth becomes acutely aware of the insensitivity of others whenever they casually use the word, and she has trouble freeing her mind from the word or the painful memory from her childhood. She makes a compelling point that people should think before they talk and avoid words that can inflict pain on so many.

I found this piece to be really moving and powerful. I was most struck by the author's statement that "Unfortunately, it is often the cruelest words that our memory stores for safe-keeping, to replay when we're finally feeling happy. I have never been able to escape my head, and I certainly have never escaped this malicious word." This statement demonstrates how powerful and damaging negative words can be. The author is so hurt at her brother being called "retarded" that she never forgets the incident and becomes hyper-aware of its usage all around her. It is particularly poignant that just prior to hearing the word, the author is laughing and having fun with her friends in the lunchroom. After this incident, the word causes the author great pain whenever she hears it and leads her to dislike other kids, acquaintances, and even teachers who use the word. Personally, I can relate to this author because I also feel a combination of anger and pain whenever I hear people calling people or things "retarded." As the cousin of a child with special needs, this hits very close to home.