Feedback on "Mother's Day" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Mother's Day"

By BrunoZero SILVER, New York City, New York
BrunoZero SILVER, New York City, New York

“Mother’s Day” by “Irene” is a poem about Irene’s relationship with her mother. This
relationship includes care, humor, and most importantly, love. The piece exhibits a wonderfully relatable stanza explaining their relationship’s imperfections. Lines like “the only reason I put with you / and your plethora of eggs / is the same reason why you put up / with my lousy grades, obsession / with 50 dollar lipstick / perpetual complaints, / why we will cling to each other's arms” instantly capture readers and enchant them with a nostalgia filled glee. Simply, “Mother’s Day” is a wonderful poem.
Irene’s piece really reminds my of my relationship with my mom. We definitely have
severe imperfections in our relationship that honestly make me feel that it's disfunctional. But in the end, I know that I love my mom and that she loves me, despite our constant bickering. The poem made me realize that I forgot the date of the day of mothers, and that I should really look it up so I can appreciate my mom a little extra that day.