How To Raise Your Parents | Teen Ink

How To Raise Your Parents

By pottervian GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
pottervian GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

Parents. Yikes. I am over 100% guilty of being the person Grace Coberly does not describe in her story, "How to Raise Your Parents." Patience? HA, nice joke. Sensitivity? Eh. Well-timed sarcasm? More like sarcasm all the time. I am one of those teenagers that Grace Coberly does not want us to be with our parents. 

Reading this article, however, completely changed my opinion of who my parents are and how I should act with my parents. Previously, I thought of my parents as these people who think they know everything about you and get joy out of nagging you. Boy, I was wrong. This story taught me that the reason my parents are always trying to get me to do something or are so overprotective is because they want to continue being my parents. 

I have to admit, as I entered my teenage years, I grew away from my parents, and I think they're trying to get me back. They want me to be the kid I depended on them. Like Grace mentions, as much as our parents take care of us, we have to take care of them. After all, our parents are only human and they depend on us to keep them happy. So I promise, no more sarcasm (well, maybe, sometimes) and more patience with my parents.