Feedback on "Surrender to Gray" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Surrender to Gray"

By cosmicartisian SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
cosmicartisian SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

In “Surrender to Gray” by Gillian Brown, I found a moving portrayal of truth in fiction. in the story, all the walls of the schools are made of students who have succumbed to the grey sameness. Each student that lacked their own thoughts and convictions fell victim to the wall no matter if they put up a struggle or weren't aware. They would eventually fade away to worn bumps on the wall, and then to crumbled dust. The tragedy then became the norm as parents desired for their children to be simple and the same. However there is one girl that was unlike the others and stayed different as others around her were swallowed by the wall. She liked to imagine how the people in the wall were like before they fell in. One day she finds a vibrant blue stain on the wall that produced the vibration of life when she put her ear to it. The blue stain stayed with her and blended into its own shade.
   The story addresses the issue of the urge to fit in. Sameness is a curse that turns diverse people into what seems all the same. Once they have settled into the familiar comfort of sameness they no longer try to break out of the uniform grayness. Eventually society also conformed to endorse the sameness to easily manage everybody with no unpredictable actions. We cannot become a mass of similar people, all indistinguishable from the next. It's only by being different that we can be ourselves with our real traits. We can't just let all the colors of the world pass us by looking down at the floor. It's time we looked up at the beauty of us.