Feedback on Nameless Child | Teen Ink

Feedback on Nameless Child

By dauntlessannie GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
dauntlessannie GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

In the April edition of Teen Ink, I read a memoir by Heather Knott, who told the story of the nameless child. Heather tells of her community service trip to Haiti, where she volunteers to teach 40 underprivileged children. She recollects a day in which she clearly remembers. She is confronted by a crying child, who has a large bruise on her face. By relating the conversation in Creole, Heather put us in the moment. The crying child was being beaten by her father. Domestic violence is common in Haiti, but Heather felt as if she had been hit. She realizes that the child does not have anything rights.

I felt very strongly about this piece because people who have rights abuse them, while others do not have any at all. When I had been introduced to the idea of domestic violence, I was shocked, but could not empathize with the victims. This piece expanded my horizons on this topic because I was shocked that someone would hit their own daughter.

Heather was able to experience something new and learn from this experience. I would genuinely like to visit someplace where I could help someone and have an impact on their lifetime by teaching them.