"Unarranged" by Devjani Paul | Teen Ink

"Unarranged" by Devjani Paul

April 7, 2016
By RockyLightwood GOLD, New York City, New York
RockyLightwood GOLD, New York City, New York
18 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
― Dr. Seuss


     “Unarranged” by Devjani Paul is about an Indian girl who is attending her pelllichoopulu, the meeting of the future in-laws and husband. The brides are suppose bring in chai, tea, and greet their future in-laws respectively. After that, the bride and groom go into a room to discuss their feelings on the proposal. Aruhi, the to-be-bride, is upset about the meeting because it would mean she would have to give up her old life and move in with her husband. Aruhi has the right to feel this way because most Indian woman are denied their freedom, including her.
     I have always thought it was unfair for women to be treated like that because women and men were all created equal. Even if it is the modern time, some families like to be tradition. In this situation, traditional means the wife being submissive. “You mean to tell me that the girl has to sacrifice everything, for a stranger, and the man stays in the same house, continues with his career, and gains a wife-servant too? This is utterly ridiculous!” explains how Aruhi feels about the arrangement. “You cannot cook, you reply to a namaste with ‘how are you,’ and you plan on continuing college and becoming a lawyer…a woman lawyer- now that's ridiculous” explains how women are suppose to act after they get married.