Love Isn't Black and White | Teen Ink

Love Isn't Black and White

By E_ppanda GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
E_ppanda GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

Bryce and Gabbi are an interracial couple. In “Love Isn’t Black and White,” by Alex Helm, isn't something I can relate to as I'm not in an relationship but it is a perfect piece that explains how people see interracial couples. Helm discussed how different people reacted to their relationship. It shows how prejudiced people in our society are. The author states,“ He knows that often people will assume African American boys are troublemakers, but he said his parents made sure he and his siblings were raised to be the best people they could be, despite the stereotypes against them.” This isn't a rare thought people have about African Americans.

To me, this prejudice is unfair and I have friends who are African Americans and they aren't all troublemakers. Some are really quiet and shy. Interracial couples shouldn't be looked at as a bad thing because everyone is the same in one way or another, it doesn't have to be skin color or race. The life is theirs and that's the person they love; they shouldn't have to give up their love to please others. It's also rude for people to tell someone that they shouldn't date so and so because of what they think. I wouldn't tell anyone that because that's their life, so we as an outsider, should avoid doing that. Interracial couples should be treated like no other couple. There is no law that says we can't be in a relationship with a person who isn't the same skin color or race. Therefore, we shouldn't say it's a bad thing.