Fractured Wings | Teen Ink

Fractured Wings

March 3, 2016
By RockyLightwood GOLD, New York City, New York
RockyLightwood GOLD, New York City, New York
18 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
― Dr. Seuss


     "Fractured Wings" by Almeerah Al- Suleimany is about the depression of the author. The author lets her depression control her thoughts. For example, when Ameerah get hungry and starts eating Chinese takeout, her depression harshly comments on her body, " You'll get fatter if you eat that", which causes Almeerah to lose her appetite. Almeerah's depression also makes fun of her crush on Adam, " Nobody likes you. You know Adam likes Thea; he'll never look at you the way he looks at her." Because Almeerah let her depression in, it has become like a real human being.

     About 350 million people of all ages in the world suffer from depression. I am one of the them. Even though my thoughts aren't as severe as Ameerah from "Fractured Wings", I do doubt myself. Am I skinny enough? Do I look fat next to her? Should I eat that? Does he like me? These questions always swirl my mind when my depression takes over. But, I have not let it take control. It's in the back of my mind making snarky comments now and then. I write to let the bad thoughts out, instead of building them up. I don't let my depression come alive.