Social Media Mania | Teen Ink

Social Media Mania

March 2, 2016
By jodih SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
jodih SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

     “Social Media Mania” is a powerfully written memoir from the March issue about feeling restricted by technology. In this society, people, especially teenagers, have mobile devices. An especially bad habit some of us have is feeling the need to post instead of being in the moment, which is described fluently by Victoria. This is definitely something relatable to all of us. At a nice café and the breakfast looks amazing? Post it on Instagram. Someone said something funny on the subway? Post it on Facebook. That top looks really nice? Post it on Snapchat. We are constantly straying away from reality and entering the world of social media.
     That’s why we should control our use of social media, not the other way around. We shouldn’t be repressed by anything that we, humans, have made ourselves. That’s exactly what Victoria establishes in her piece. She boldly towers over her phone after feeling controlled by it. “Holding it in my hand, I glance down. This phone has instrumented the destruction of my relationships, the steady decrease of face-to-face conversation. Now I can see clearly… I throw my phone against the wall, shattering not only the screen but also its power over me.” This shows that not only is a phone an object, but it has no power. As long as we don’t give it away.