Feedback on The Story of Iqbal Masih | Teen Ink

Feedback on The Story of Iqbal Masih

March 2, 2016
By Zehra13 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Zehra13 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The heart-wrenching piece "The Story of Iqbal Masih" by Rachel Breau is a fiction narrative that gave readers a sneak peek into the difficult, exhausting life of Iqbal. He is a young boy who was turned over to a carpet factory to work there as a slave so he can support his family. The condition in the factory however, is barely survivable. It consists of harsh punishments and back-breaking work with scarcely any food. Iqbal shows courage at times and is punished cruelly and painfully afterwards. One Sunday, he attends a Liberator's meeting where he meets a man that goes against Peshgi, the enslavement Iqbal is tied up in. With this man's help, Iqbal goes on to fight against Peshgi. He even goes to America to further support his argument. When Iqbal comes back to his home country, he is mortally shot at. Although he died, his legacy and endurance inspired children from all over. This story was written with a mind-gripping tension and dark suspense pulling along readers throughout the sad journey. It was written in a profound way that reached out to my heart and I felt like I was put in the moment with the character.

    Freedom is a scared thing. It is one of the basic, natural rights of a human. Every human that is born has freedom for anything and can stand up for themselves. It is unjust for that to be taken away. What Iqbal suffered goes against that right and is impartial to children. They yearn to be free and be able to make choices and judgements for themselves and not thrusted into every predicament they come across is a luxury. "A place where torture and slavery of innocent children was the norm. Hunger and pain and ache in the bones fueled my determination. The urge to flee was written in each heartbeat, a message through each nerve synapse electrifying me." This is the panic filled world in which some children live through everyday in Pakistan. The story was honest with the readers and written with anxious lines that moved along in a fast pace. That type of structure coincides with the theme of pain and freedom of this piece. This story is a prime example in showing the rest of the world that we are ignorant to some problems that color society. If we fight for our freedom, should we not fight for their's?