Feedback on "The Antelope" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "The Antelope"

By noserp GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
noserp GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

In society, people who are viewed as "different" are usually shunned without anyone bothering to try and understand those people or get to know them. A perfect example is autism, which is a disorder that many are not sensitive to and behaviors caused by it are easily misunderstood. In "The Antelope" by Dana Boutelle the author talks about what it is like living in a household with her autistic brother, Nicko. He has constant outbursts in which he bangs on the walls, screams, and hurts himself. Dana describes these outbursts as, "...a lion sneaking up behind the antelope it's about to eat for dinner.", because they are unpredictable. The narrator could not help feeling resentment toward him at times because of the stress and fright that he caused the family. But she knows that he really is a good person on the inside and everyone who gets to know him likes him. The author illustrates this beautifully and provides a good message for readers.

I found this piece uplifting and relatable. I have a cousin who is ten years old and diagnosed with autism. Although I cannot communicate with him, I know what he goes through and will always be there to support him. The author states,"I understand, respect, and love him. No, we'll never have the typical sibling relationship, but nothing could have strengthened me more than the true relationship I've had with my brother." I agree with this and feel the same about my cousin. In this piece, the author conveys a message that everyone deserves to be accepted and loved no matter who they are. The world would be a much better place if we could all be tolerant and embrace our differences.