The Dirtiest F-Word by Anna Butler | Teen Ink

The Dirtiest F-Word by Anna Butler

By Katritridragon SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Katritridragon SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

The points raised in Anna's work are all valid and reasonable points. In 2016, many people, not just females, suffer from all stages of discrimination for many things. Women are denied jobs because they are "made for men," and "it's a man's job to do that." Though it is modern times, and the gender roles stereotypes have lessened, many females are still turned down for jobs considered "men only," like executive positions at many large companies.

Men are also looked down upon for being in any position that a woman should be in. Nurses, educators of younger students, stay at home dads, they are all frowned upon by societal pressure. 
Despite it being 2016, the home is still the place of the woman, and though females have earned the right to vote and to work, they are still frowned upon when their husband has to take a day off so that they can come to work. 

Most women, including young girls, live on a "rape schedule" in which they base their choices, especially when alone, on what will keep them the safest. They will make sure to hold their keys when walking home or to their car. They won't walk down that back alleyway, when it would be faster. They won't get into the elevator with a suspicious looking person. Women have to take specific steps to protect themselves from the instance of rape. Even in the instance of rape occurring, the victim will be blamed for wearing "provocative clothing" or "bringing it upon themselves."

Though great steps have been made to achieve equality among the sexes, things still aren't perfect, and the time that they will be is long into the future.