Feedback on Zero to Hero | Teen Ink

Feedback on Zero to Hero

March 1, 2016
By lmookai SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
lmookai SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

"Zero to Hero" by Amia Fatale is a short memoir about her body. It begins with her tiny size being mocked and how she had difficulty gaining confidence. She states, "For the mean-spirited, I was easy picking. Luckily, I ended up making a few friends, who constantly reassured me that I was beautidul, though I never really believe them." Amia explained her desire to grow and not be called small. When she finally hit a growth spurt, she was an inch taller but gained thirty pounds. Amia was still bullied and her "self-image was completely destroyed. . ." After trying to meet others' expectations of her by working out and skipping meals to eventually lose ten pounds, Amia realized she only "focused on the voices of negativity." She decided to be herself for prom and finally felt happy. When passing a freshman who reminded her of her self-conscious self years ago, Amia "gave her a warm smile and told her she was beautiful."
There are many young females who struggle with loving their bodies. They feel pressured to be skinny and curvy and perfect and fit the expectations of society. They don't understand that it shouldn't matter and that everyone would be occupied with themselves. I am one of those girls. Though I appreciate my body, I still compare myself to others. I thank Amia for sharing her story and giving an important message to anyone who have trouble with their self-esteem.