Feedback on Fractured Wings by Ameerah Al-Suleimany | Teen Ink

Feedback on Fractured Wings by Ameerah Al-Suleimany

By SSL-TT GOLD, New York City, New York
SSL-TT GOLD, New York City, New York

The piece "Fractured Wings" by Ameerah Al-Suleimany is a very interesting and well-written story. The whole piece personifies depression and how it affacts the narrator. For example, it convinces the narrator to not eat and stay home. 

At first, it isn't very clear who this "she" was. Readers have to think and try to understand who "she" was. I thought it was an overprotective girlfriend. When I read the last sentence, everything clicked and I was having an "oh" moment.

The little details and phrases like "her gaze penetrates my soul" and "my desire for food is extinguished as rapidly as blowing out a candle" put readers in the moment. It's very well done and even though I have never been through depression, I can feel what this narrator is going through. I also especially love the ending. You don't have control over your depression until you have the willpower and mind set to fight it. And to those going through depression, I'm sure your wings will heal one day. Until then, stay strong.