Feedback on "All for a Video Game" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "All for a Video Game"

By nicolezef GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
nicolezef GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"All for a Video Game" is a fictional piece written by Gary Tang. It describes the experience of Callum, a boy who desperately wants a video game so that he seeks a job at McDonald's. The story teaches that honesty is the best policy through Callum's change of heart and wit. Callum steals a wallet to get away from his horrible job and get the video game, but after seeing the girl's picture on her driver's license, proving she was the owner of the wallet, Callum ditches his selfishness and decides that what is best to do is to return the wallet. This piece was excellently written since it both told a story but more so taught a lesson.
     I personally liked this piece because honesty plays a role in everyday life. Whether it's a white lie to protect your friend or a dangerous lie to escape federal charges, honesty will find its way through eventually, so it's best to let it out sooner. When Gary quoted, "Honesty is the most valuable virtue anybody can have," I really saw and understood the meaning of honesty. It is so valuable that it can be seen as a prize or can be used to evaluate the good in a person. Gary's piece was a great one, a theme crawling out of a story through Callum's eyes.