Over A Text | Teen Ink

Over A Text

February 5, 2016
By skylilly SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
skylilly SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The piece that I am reviewing is "Over a Text" by Emma Honsowetz. It is about a girl getting her heart broken over a text message. I am providing feedback on it because it embodies this era's belief on what sentimental is. The synopsis of the piece is Emma explaining how a boy broke up with her over text. It almost seems comical when explained in simpler terms. Emma clearly depicts her disbelief and frustration that all she was worth was a text message. In less than 140 characters, you stomp on someone's heart like there as worthless as that fallen leaf on the concrete. She gave her heart to someone who didn't do the same to her.
                       

We are so engrossed in technology that when ending an "important" relationship, the best we can do is send a text message. "And instead of explaining things face to face like a decent person would, you texted," Emma writes in her article. However, the rarity of it is that, there are hundreds, maybe thousands of people out there, that would break someone's heart over a text message. Even though I have never been in her situation I can relate to how she is feeling because I, too, would feel dejected of someone took my feelings for granted and threw them away like garbage.