The Intruder | Teen Ink

The Intruder

By mtressler52 GOLD, Defiance, Ohio
mtressler52 GOLD, Defiance, Ohio

Ronnie M. wrote a memoir called “Home Alone”. This is about the even that changed her life forever and the even that she will never be able to get out of her head. On a cold winters night in 2013, Ronnie was home alone with her seventeen-year-old sister, Rachel. Rachel and Ronnie had not been very close sisters until later that night when something horrible happened.  Suddenly, when the sisters were sitting in their separate rooms, they heard a loud crash from down stairs. Ronnie didn’t think much of it, until she heard it again and again. There was another loud sound and Ronnie ran across the hall to her sister’s room and asked what was going on, she didn’t know.  They call for their brother, thinking maybe he had come home early from a swim meet. There was no answer. “ ‘Call the police,’ I whispered, trying to stay calm, but failing. My hands were shaking, and my palms were sweating.”  Ronnie ran out of her sister’s room and ran back to hers. She grabbed her Taser, some knives, and a lighter with an aerosol can.  She ran to her sisters room and gave Rachel the lighter and aerosol can and told her not to be afraid to hurt anyone if they come in. Ronnie, being a quick thinker, put the Taser on the doorknob so that way if the intruder touched it they would be stunned. Later on, one they had called the police, they found out the intruder had broken a window and left. This changed Rachel and Ronnie’s relationship forever, they are now closer and more grateful that they have each other.  “Now we take care of each other and look out for one another”. The situation could have gone badly but gladly, luck was on their side that night.