Feedback on My Medicated Self | Teen Ink

Feedback on My Medicated Self

February 3, 2016
By Satsuki SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Satsuki SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

            In the piece “My Medicated Self” written by Noelle Henein, the narrator talks about her medication.  When the narrator was younger, she started having “evident” differences as a child.  Sometimes she would all of a sudden burst out and shout.  This caused her mom to make her take pills to suppress her own “self”.  The author also tells us readers that she slowly become accustomed to this and couldn't tell who she really was.  The author only continued like this behind “the mask of pills”.  This piece showed me the true light of reality.
            After this, I realized each and every person dislike others because of their evident differences.  We always have to pretend to be someone who we aren't.  Not only we disregard who they actually are as a person, but we also disregard what the others feel in this position.  People are forced to change themselves until they forget who they themselves are.  The narrator said,”For the next eight years, I have been stuck in the void between Myself and My Medicated Self.”  After taking the medication, the speaker herself couldn't identify her own identity.  She also said,”But, in the quiet moments, when the right song comes on and forces me into a place when all I do is think, I wonder: am I walking, running, singing, crying, feeling, day after day, as someone I am not? As a mask of pills and pre- scriptions, a face finally acceptable to people who know?”  The narrator is asking us the readers, why do we have to pretend to be someone else just for them to accept us?  This writing showed the truth of humanity, the truth that we don't know how to accept others for the differences.  Yet, it is also something that won't change for a long time.