My Medicated Self | Teen Ink

My Medicated Self

By lonelyperson GOLD, New York, New York
lonelyperson GOLD, New York, New York

After reading "My Medicated Self," by Noelle Henein, I learned that even if you have two identities, you can find yourself in between them. The piece taught me that you are who you are and you decide that. At a young age, Noelle began to take pills because she wasn't normal like other people. When the medication took effect, she called herself, "My Medicated Self." However, when it wore off, she became the person she was before the swallowing the pill and called that side, "Myself." Noelle didn't see herself as being either of those identities, but saw herself in the middle of the two.

There are people in the world who still do not know exactly who they are. They are wondering and questioning themselves because they are confused. Eventually, they will have to decide for themselves and believe that they are who they are. Noelle writes, "I am not the chaos of Myself, nor the cookie-cutter version of My Medicated Self. I am whoever I decide to be. No drug or test can decide my worth." These lines reinforce how no object can define a person's value. It is important to remember that people are who they decide they are and that they are not something or somebody else besides themselves.