Home Alone | Teen Ink

Home Alone

By jevinaw GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
jevinaw GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

“Home Alone” by Ronnie Maryash was the written version of one of my biggest fears. I was intrigued from the start of the story to the end, vividly picturing the author’s frightening predicament. The memoir threw me right into the scene of the author and his sister at home during a break-in. When they realized an intruder was trying to get in downstairs, Maryash acted quickly. Even though he was experiencing million forms of panic and fear (and rightfully so!), he quickly gathered weapons in his room and locked himself and his sister in her room. I greatly admired how Maryash fearlessly sprung into action, arming himself with a Taser and knives while his sister called the police. Thankfully, they weren’t harmed and the intruder never got to them, but I especially liked how Maryash recognized the silver lining of the incident. Despite how alarming a break-in would be, it brought him and his sister closer.

The most impressive aspect of the piece was how the author pinpointed his fear in the moment. Lines that I found to be very intense was, “‘Call the police,’ I whispered, trying to stay calm, but failing. My hands were shaking, and my palms were sweating. I could feel the pulse in my neck thumping.” The author put me perfectly in the terrifying occurrence, and I was genuinely scared for him. I also noted just how prepared Maryash was for an emergency like this one. Although I may not have a Taser, hunting knives, a lighter, or nearly as much bravery as the author, if his quick thinking can keep his sister and him safe, then mine can too.