Feedback on "Suck It In" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Suck It In"

February 3, 2016
By pottervian GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
pottervian GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

     In the memior section of Teen Ink, writer Kristin Hopkins published a story called "Suck It In." This story involved Kristin in her journey of losing weight due to an incident where her mother told her to suck in her belly for a picture. The story continues with Kristin living her life after her weight loss and how the words of her mother echo in her head. "Suck it in. Suck it in. Suck it in." 

     As a teenager, I find this story very relatable. With being a teenager, comes having insecurities. Most teens look in the mirror and do not like what they see. People of all ages rely on their parents to make them feel better about themselves. Kristin's mom, however, did the opposite. It is one thing having you not liking what your body is, but having your mom confirm your insecurities lowers the self-esteem a lot more. 

   Kristin did a perfect job on describing how an embedded memory

 will stay there. Even after the weight loss, Kristin felt that it was necessary to "suck it in." This demonstrates how once an inseucirty is no longer an insecurity, but reality, the impact of it never goes away. Words are there for a lifetime, so watch the words for you do not know how they will harm a person.