Feedback on "Playing God" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Playing God"

By Derp_de_Herp GOLD, New York, New York
Derp_de_Herp GOLD, New York, New York

"Playing God" is a memoir by Rancho Cucamonga. In it, Rancho describes what it feels like to have control over certain things in life. In other words, in life, sometimes he 'plays god.' In this article, however, his godliness is limited to which lobster he chooses to have cooked. In the piece, it is him who determines the fate of a particular lobster. This work is overall a great one.

In general, the primary reason why this memoir is good is because of how funny it is. First of all, Rancho describes the scene quite dramatically in a satirical way. For instance, he writes, "I move along to the second potential victim. She looks very old, frail but experienced, I wouldn’t be surprised if her children and grandchildren were looking for her right now." This quote shows how suspenseful and dramatic he makes the scene. Little does the reader know that Rancho is describing mere lobsters. This also adds to the wonderful twist ending of the piece. In addition, Rancho is rather self-aware of the comicality of the scene he is describing. For instance, he writes, "...I realize something: what that lobster saw was not a hungry teenager. That lobster saw a god." Obviously, the lobster thinks little of him, but this hyperbole makes the situation even more hilarious. This is why I loved the article "Playing God."