Feedback on "I and Love and You" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "I and Love and You"

February 2, 2016
By debasree PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
debasree PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
21 articles 2 photos 14 comments

In "I and Love and You," Skye Blue describes how the meaning of love changes growing up. She depicts it in beautiful similes and how the words "I love you" are common as a child. They are spoken often and are beaten down by lies until they have ultimately lost meaning to an individual. She explains how love is seldom understood yet the children who have never known its freeing embrace are the ones who talk of it the most. Reading Blue's piece, I could relate to the fact that yeah, I do pass around those three words too much to the point I don't know what it means. To me, I find solace in the empty words of "I love you" more than diving myself into the emotion.

 

I've never experienced love to its fullest degree. Love is subjective as it means so much to those who have none and to those who have so much. My entire life, I've been told love is dangerous. Love is deceptive and cunning, bringing the most analytical of minds to their knees with its abstract nature. Blue has reiterated what my fears with the spine tingling words, “It sits in the back of your throat like a stone, making you wheeze and sputter, and you're trying not to choke, you're trying, but you can't just spit it out either.” However, Blue ends on a high note as all the lumps start to smooth over and the words flow out with no interfaces to bind them. But what about the saying "Sometimes love is not enough"? It frightens me. How is something so seemingly infallible insatiable to the needs of the universe?