Feedback on "The American Epidemic" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "The American Epidemic"

By Derp_de_Herp GOLD, New York, New York
Derp_de_Herp GOLD, New York, New York

"The American Epidemic" is an eye-opening health article by Alyson Vu. In it, she tells of a concerning epidemic that is spreading all over the US-child obesity. There are many causes for child obesity in the US. Some include junk food, screen time, and poverty. However, Alyson also gives a lot of possible solutions to the issue, such as chewing gum, protein-rich meals, and pedometers, to name a few. There is a number of reasons why this is a great piece.

For one, it is simply a spectacular persuasive article. Alyson uses a lot of statistics and reasoning to get the reader to side with her. For instance, she states, "Children eight to 18 years old spend an average of 7.5 hours a day using electronic devices...This takes time away from physical activities, increases calorie intake through snacking, and influences children to make unhealthy food choices through exposure to junk food ads." Secondly, Alyson brings light to an important societal issue. As a student, I've seen my own school selling junk food, and so I feel that others should know of the causes and consequences that come with childhood obesity. Lastly, Alyson also proposed a set of solutions to help fix the problem. As simple as they seem, things like installing more water fountains in schools and decreasing the amount of sugar in meals, as Alyson proposes, are great ways to help combat child obesity. Overall, Alyson Vu's "The American Epidemic" was a quality essay that all students should take a look at.