Feedback on "Aww Nuts" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Aww Nuts"

By cosmicartisian SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
cosmicartisian SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

In “Aww Nuts” by “Karen”, I had found a piece of myself. For as long as I have existed I always suffered from allergies to all sorts of food. From savory seafood to tangy oranges to crunchy greens, you name it, I'm probably allergic to it. Nuts are no exception to the rule just like how the author is allergic to nuts. Likewise, it isn't pretty when I realize after I've eaten something that I'm allergic to. In the piece, “Karen” described allergies as “big, red, blotchy hives all over my face. I felt so sick, but I had no idea how much danger I was in.” Every time I get an allergic reaction, I feel the same way. I would only feel the burning, the raw pain, and stickiness of the plasma and blood while I “waited for the agony to end”. Eventually, all I would be left with is raw skin, hair dried to the plasma on the back of my neck, and a deep disgust with myself.
    Yet, the article is not just relatable to me. I've realized that despite all the times I've asked myself what I've done to deserve this and how much I suffered from the pain, I wouldn't be myself without my allergies. Like the author said, “Even though this experience was traumatizing, having a nut allergy is what makes me, me.” If I didn't have all these memories of my family and friends supporting me when I couldn't do normal activities as well as the strength I have developed from overcoming the challenges, I wouldn't be the same. Thank you for helping me see who I am, including the problems that define me.