Feedback on Summer of the Lion | Teen Ink

Feedback on Summer of the Lion

By Satsuki SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Satsuki SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

In the piece "Summer of the Lion" by "Keith", it was talking about taking marijuana.  The narrator first starts off with how his father used to take drugs, and his father encouraged him to stay away from them as far as possible.  Slowly, the narrator's curiosity took over, and he eventually became addicted to marijuana.  He seems to use marijuana as a refuge to hide from his stress.  Later on though, he realizes how severe the problem is and he tells his dad.  His dad helps the narrator to finds different ways to get rid of his stress.  This piece had an impact me, showing me how your past could make you look at things differently.  His comparisons really made me reflect on my own past.

After reading this piece, I realized that sometimes one wrong step in life can cause your life to change in any way.  I also realized that if you don't solve your problems in time it will only start to get worse and worse until you can't handle it anymore.  The passage states,"Then one day, the lion returns, monstrously enormous. It runs at you, but you do not run from or at it. The harness will save you. But this time the harness is not there. You realize that you never learned how to fight the lion."  This quote from the passage is saying that sometimes you rely on something too much, you will only be left helpless in the end.  This piece made me reflect on my past and I also kept in my mind to watch my decisions.  I think that after reading this piece, most people will also be able to learn from the narrator's mistake.