My Best Frenemy | Teen Ink

My Best Frenemy

By Lmaokai GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Lmaokai GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

After reading the memoir “My Best Frenemy” by “Sarah,” I had a revelation. I’m sure many can relate to not knowing how to handle a situation correctly. I myself have developed a strong familiarity with this feeling throughout my life and this article helped me to put my thoughts into words.
The author describes a situation where she doesn’t know how to deal with her so-called friend, Erin. She mentions how Erin is a terrible friend to her since she always tries to one-up her, saying how she has been through more than the author when all she wants is someone she can trust with her feelings. According to the memoir, she “wanted a real friend who would validate [her] feelings.” How did she choose to approach the problem? Instead of replying to Erin, she decided to do nothing. She sought to let the dilemma slip from her memory and spent her day with Molly. Eventually found out by Erin, the author was forced to interact with Erin.
I have spent a large amount of time neglecting my problems, sometimes similar to the one the author explained, but what I constantly keep learning is that doing such only makes them worse. In the author’s case, she finds that it is better to be blunt rather than trying to forget them because if it happens, it will come back to bite, harder and stronger than ever before. What I’m saying is that it’s better to deal with your mistakes when they are still small than to wait for them to evolve until you have to do something, and by then, it is already out of hand.
“My Best Frenemy” shows how as humans, we make mistakes all the time and sometimes, we don’t pick the right way to deal with them. Whether it be because we are too embarrassed to admit to it or because we’re trying to protect someone else’s feelings, we should all try to be more careful about fixing our blunders.