Feedback on "Digital Divide" by A,y Gossett | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Digital Divide" by A,y Gossett

By SSL-TT GOLD, New York City, New York
SSL-TT GOLD, New York City, New York

As a teenager who considers her phone to be a good friend, I can relate to and understand "Digital Divide" by Amy Gossett very much. I especially love the line "The world is all right there, on  reflective screen." This is very true and describes my emotions towards the Internet. While oceans and language differences separate the world, the Internet connects all of us together. We can talk with people from other countries and learn about different cultures. Without the Internet, I wouldn't have been able to share my opinions with so many other people or submit this feedback to Teen Ink. The Internet truly is amazing.

However, just like Amy Gossett's dad, my parents constantly complain about me spending too much time on my phone and not truly "living." They just don't understand how wonderful the Internet is. To older generations, it controls our lives.  Regardless of the many times I've told my dad the benefits of Internet, he still views it as a negative thing. Then he'll go on to tell me how people truly got to know each other by talking and how simple life was before mobile phones. I do agree that life was a lot simpler back then but the Internet has opened up so many opportunities and improved communication. Whether the older generation like it or not, we are advancing in technology and the only thing we can do is embrace it.