Modern Expression | Teen Ink

Modern Expression

January 6, 2016
By lonelyperson GOLD, New York, New York
lonelyperson GOLD, New York, New York
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

   After I read "Modern Expression," by Chan Park, I thought about the importance of decisions. Every day, we make them whether we realize it or not. Although it is expected for most people to follow traditions in the family, some decide to take their own separate path. Park realized how maintaing his family's Seon-bi customs made him friendless and society didn't excpt him. Mr. Kim, his choral director, taught him how to show emotion when he noticed he was trying not to show it while singing.

   Even though the family expects the young to follow their ways, I don't think it's always wrong to not obey them. People do what they think would benefit them in the end. Park decided to show his emotions. He didn't always maintain his Seon-bi ways because he wanted to be a part of society. He wrote, "Obstinately denying this new century and insisting on the ways of the pastdoes not work. Rather, more benefits rersulted when I decided to live accrodingly in the present." Although the past is important, living past ways would make somebody feel different from society in the present. People should live how they want to live rather than letting others decide for them.