Toxic Masculinity: Why Big Boys Don't Cry | Teen Ink

Toxic Masculinity: Why Big Boys Don't Cry

By rainygrace GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
rainygrace GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

of course it is happening inside your head, harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real? - albus dumbledore

What does it mean to be masculine? Is it to be strong? Is it to not cry? No, not at all. We have brought these stereotypes upon ourselves and now the entire world is suffering. We as humans, always look for the simplest explaination. I guess that's why we have these labels. It's easier to say, "girls are more emotional than boys," than to fully understand our emotions. This is exactly what Callie Zimmerman is saying in, "Toxic Masculinity: Why Big Boys Don't Cry." She beautifully demonstrates the troubles with masculinity today.

I recently decided to think more about gender and feminism and I'm realizing that feminism isn't just for women. Feminism is equality of the sexes. This means that both genders should be treated equally. Women should get an equal pay and men should be able to cry. Zimmerman says, "Men do not feel a slimmer range of emotions than women." All in all this piece caught my interest and explained the issue of masculinity.