Feedback on The Truth About Eating Disorders | Teen Ink

Feedback on The Truth About Eating Disorders

By pottervian GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
pottervian GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

After reading "The Truth About Eating Disorders," by "Lisa," I am more disgusted in society than ever. Society creates a challenge for us to try to be as close to perfection as possible. There's pressure to be something that is only considered perfect in the standard of Photoshop in magazines. The standards of perfection are completely unfair. You have to be skinny, but not flat. Your hair has to be long, but not curly. You have to be smart, but not a know-it-all. You have to dress nice, but not too fancy or you'll be considered snobby. 

"Lisa" shows the outcome of the tremendos pressure involved in perfection. The author describes how the thought of not being perfect knocks at her brain every second of the day. She keeps seeing herself as less than others. Even at the hospital, she makes herself seem worse. "Eva was smaller than me," "Lisa" says in the text. 

"Lisa" does a fantastic job in showing everyone the truth about eating disorders. She doesn't sugar coat it by saying it's just skipping meals and coming out with a perfect body. It's the constant feeling of hunger and guilt when you try to feed that hunger. It is the feeling of imperfection when looking in the mirror. It is a diagnosis not a way to be popular.