Feedback on Not Just Ribbons and Rhinestones | Teen Ink

Feedback on Not Just Ribbons and Rhinestones

By SnowflakeStar GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
SnowflakeStar GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

The piece "Not Just Ribbons and Rhinestones" by Jamie Sarai is about a sport that people typically look down on rhythmic gymnastics. Despite this sport being "arguably the most beautiful sport in the world," according to the author, it is also one of the most secretive and unappreciated sports in the world. It's hard to imagine what it is like to be a rhythmic gymnast because we only see them on tv, but their lives are every bit as challenging than that of more popular sports. In her piece author Jamie Sarai explains this aspect very well.

In her piece, the author explains the hardships and training faced by many rhythmic gymnasts. These events in their lives should not be ignored because of all the sparkly, easy looking routines shown on tv. Just because a sport seems glorified on the outside it doesn't mean that the hardworking people who perform them lead easy lives. The training puts them through hours and hours of pain and their success is not guaranteed. According to "Not Just Ribbons and Rhinestones," she writes "There's no guarantee that the rhythmic gymnast will succeed." Despite this she also explains her personal experience with this sport and her piece does a wonderful job of explaining the fun and tiring world of rhythmic gymnastics.