Magnificent Yellow | Teen Ink

Magnificent Yellow

By StanleyLigon SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
StanleyLigon SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

If I weren't around so many of my friends when I was reading this piece, I would have started sobbing  right then and there. “Magnificent Yellow” is a sad yet beautiful piece remembering the life of the narrator’s younger brother Tony. He was ripped from the earth when he was less than ten years old by a common disease that has killed over 20.1 million people- cancer. It is extremely mind boggling how easily something so small can turn into something so much bigger.
     Before reading this story, my relationship with my sister was very rocky. We would fight often, and would talk much because her solace lied with her nose in a book and mine looking up at a television screen. But after reading this, I acknowledged the fact that life is short and for some it's even shorter. But you should use the time you have with your loved ones and make the most of it before our time is up.
     I can not imagine the pain that you are feeling, and I would have been lost without my accomplice as well. However, 2 months ago, my cousin was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer. By the time that word got out to our family, he was already in Stage Four, and there was nothing that we could do but say goodbye. He died a couple weeks after that, but then his sister announced that SHE was in Stage Four of colon cancer. She is still alive, but we don't know how long that she has left. That's why my father, my sister and I visit her whenever we have the chance. By the way, my cousin's favorite color is yellow.