You'll Thank Me Later | Teen Ink

You'll Thank Me Later

By Lsaxman BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
Lsaxman BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

In the story, You’ll Thank Me Later by Katherine P., she tells the story of when she heard the news she was going to be a big sister.  Katherine explains how she felt on that dreaded day, at first, but ended up loving her in the end.

She arrived to her vacation destination when she received the news.  Her mother waited for her in the airport.  Her mom said she was going to have another baby, but Katherine didn’t believe her.  She laughed, “Ha.  Very funny, Mum.  Now what’s the real surprise?”  Her mother responded with, “You’ll thank me later.”  Negative feelings filled her mind as time stood still.

The day finally arrived and Katherine was officially a sister.  She was hesitant to hold the baby, and she kept calling her a “creature.”  Although, when she looked into the eyes of her newborn baby sister, she fell in love. Their mom sat on the bed and watched her daughters be together for the first time while having a smile on her face. Her mom leaned in and whispered, “It’s later.”

I know I would react the same way Katherine did.  Having a sibling for the first time after being an only child for so long would be hard to get used to.  I can understand why she felt the way she did.  But, in the end, I would end up loving my new sibling just like she did.