Feedback on "Help for Homelessness" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Help for Homelessness"

By Derp_de_Herp GOLD, New York, New York
Derp_de_Herp GOLD, New York, New York

Why do we have such a negative perception about homelessness? This is the question Carol Zhang asked when she wrote, "Help for Homelessness." In her piece, Carol discusses how her privilege prevents her from encountering the woes of the less fortunate. However, she doesn't understand why those around her are out to get the homeless. What gives the privileged the right to dismiss those worse off than them? I love this article so much because of all the emotional questions Carol raises.

I completely agree with Carol's point of view. As someone who is often concerned about money, I worry that I may be in the shoes of a homeless person one day. Of course, I would dislike it if people treated me like trash just because I have no home and no money. For this reason, I sympathize with the homeless and respect them for all the trouble they went through. One line of the article stood out to me: "But it is equally true that they, too, have stories and dreams and just as much right to a good life as you and I." This one sentence perfectly sums up why I believe that we should treat homeless people like regular people, as they are no different on the inside. In short, Carol's piece eloquently explains why we should stop disrespecting the homeless for the struggles they put up with.