I'm Afraid of the Movies | Teen Ink

I'm Afraid of the Movies

By lonelyperson GOLD, New York, New York
lonelyperson GOLD, New York, New York

Anything can happen anywhere at any time. "I'm Afraid of the Movies," by Emily Thomas, proves that statement to be true. When she was four, she enjoyed her first experience of going to a movie theater. However, as she got older, she beacme more concerned of shootings in the theaters. They are not the same places to her as they used to be as an armed person in one can harm others.

Although this situation has not occurred to me before, I have heard of shootings in other areas. These situations are unpredictable until they do happen. Emily writes," Now, they're dangerous, scary places full of enclosed rooms that suffocate me with fear. As long as it's easy for someone to obtain a gun in this nation, I will never truly feel safe going to the movies." It's sad how enjoyable places can become unsafe and someone may get hurt in them. This article made me realize that many places are dangerous even if they do seem safe. After reading this, I've learned to be more aware of my surroundings whether I am at home, school, or outside.