Feedback on "How to Be the Oldest" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "How to Be the Oldest"

December 8, 2015
By nicolezef GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
nicolezef GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
15 articles 0 photos 0 comments

     “How to Be the Oldest” is a strategically crafted piece written by Brevann Nun. Brevann excellently demonstrates to readers her opinion about being the oldest sibling, being a part of an exclusive subgroup of people growing up with siblings, one that has its benefits and disadvantages. She implies that siblings are certainly a blessing, but life before and with them are two drastically different times. The oldest sibling grows up with all the attention they could ever wish for, whereas once the smaller sibling is born, the attention is directed to them and the oldest sibling is put into the shadow. Then they take over your life, like messing with your stuff or making you taking the blame for everything they do. She concludes the piece with a very relatable remark, about how even through all the troubles she suffered through her childhood, she still cares about her younger counterparts and loves them more than any other.
     Personally I enjoyed this piece because of its reliability. I, myself, am the oldest child in my family, and I felt that everything Brevann said is beyond true and simply honest. For example, she says, “When your toddler bother or sister wanders into your room, it sees fantastic toys and wants them all.” I can certainly relate to this, for my sister did the same thing when she was a toddler, and now at 10 years old she still walks into my room, demands to take all of my things, and even goes as far as declaring them her own! But, as Brevann notes, siblings grow up and learn the fundamentals in life like sharing and compromising, and my sister and I have definitely developed that kind of relationship over the years. We learned how to live with and love each other, and put the past behind us and move on.