Feedback on "Vests" by Jenelle Doolittle | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Vests" by Jenelle Doolittle

By E_ppanda GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
E_ppanda GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

In today's modern society, everyone is expected to be what others want them to be. For example, those who are part of the LGBTQ community are seen as different and people judge and hate on them for being themselves. In "Vests," by Jenelle Doolittle, she shares her story. She realizes that she isn't what society wants her to be. Jenelle refuses to be defined by just her sexuality as there's more to it. 

In the fifth paragraph, she states," I know that my life will never be what I expected it to be, and I know that there are people in the world who would assault and even kill me given the chance based on this one characteristic, but I also recognize that this is an extreme on a broad scale." Many people receive hate for their different sexuality and this posesses a danger for them. People should be able to walk outside freely without having to worry about being killed or assaulted. However, the world is just cruel like that and they define people by only sexuality even though there is more. Like she says," My sexuality is merely one characteristic of many, only one article of clothing in an outfit - just an orange vest accenting a volunteer group."  No person can be defined by others. Only the person themself can because they are the one that knows themself the best. A person having a different sexuality shouldn't matter to anyone. Why should anyone judge, we have no right to do that?