Feedback on "Impact" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Impact"

By RockyLightwood GOLD, New York City, New York
RockyLightwood GOLD, New York City, New York

“You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
― Dr. Seuss

“Impact” by “Sylvia” is about the narrator when she was friends with the new girl. The girl, Angela, made the narrator and another girl do everything together. Angela claimed the leader position and made them tie and scrape the gum off her shoe. She insisted they make matching Neopets  accounts and play together at recess. The narrator says how she “thirsted” for companionship and acceptance and feared loneliness.

I feel the same way “Sylvia” does. In that moment of longing for acceptance, people tend to forget the real meaning of friendship. “Sylvia” forgets the meaning until recently. She gets tired of the same routine, playing tag and talking about boys. So, she tells Angela about her decision and she is kicked out of her group. “So I told Angela that I did not want to be ordered around anymore and I did not feel like her real friend…as expected, she didn't take it well and told me to leave” explains that the narrator didn't feel like she fit in