Feedback on "The Flaw in My Facebook" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "The Flaw in My Facebook"

November 8, 2015
By lunakurra BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
lunakurra BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

  As an aspiring student striving to earn good grades, Kiera Huemer's story fell close to my heart. In her article "The Flaw in My Facebook," she discusses her mindless addiction to the social media website and how it interferes with her academic achievements. Kiera is a seemingly perfect student who never wastes time - having sustained a 4.0 GPA along with taking numerous AP classes and attending cello practice. Quite on the contrary, as she states, she spends the wee hours of the morning senselessly scrolling through the depths of irrelevant articles and status updates that is Facebook. Surprisingly, she doesn't do this because of boredom, Kiera does this while still having multiple homework assignments to defeat.

  Kiera's way of procrastination is her escape from the life of a perfect school girl. Once Facebook pops up on her computer screen, her ever-nagging deadlines disappear into the background of her brain, and she has nothing to worry about except the profile pictures of her classmates from years ago and intriguingly titled  articles such as "Definite Proof that Lady Gaga's Stage Show Will Never Be Topped." It's reassuring to know that I am not the only one spending time that could be much better used elsewhere on social media. As Kiera writes, "My hyperactive brain relaxes in this imaginary world." With my phone screen glowing away into the dark as I pass through my friends' selfies and posts of scandalous articles, I, much like Kiera Huemer, relax into a worry-less world that is much simpler to exist in than one where I have to solve Algebra problems.