“But You Don’t Look Sick …” | Teen Ink

“But You Don’t Look Sick …” MAG

By Bello123 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Bello123 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Chronic illness is sadly common, and it can cause terrible pain for its victims. This includes Cassidy DeMona, writer of “But You Don’t Look Sick …” She is a 15-year-old with many diagnoses, including postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome, myalgic encephalomyelitis, and Lyme disease. Cassidy is very brave dealing with others’ annoying questions. Even though I don’t know her, I admire her and she inspires me. This article is one of the best I’ve read in Teen Ink.

This piece taught me about the hardships some teens go through every day. I’m always complaining about my allergies and asthma. When I read this piece, it was a metaphorical slap across the face. I realized there are young people all over the world who are going through much worse than me. Cassidy writes, “There is a 25 percent chance I will be wheelchair-bound by the age of 21.” Even though I have a bad immune system and get sick often, this dire situation will never happen to me. I plan to stop complaining about my minor predicaments. This piece has changed my life for the better.