Feedback on Ups & Downs | Teen Ink

Feedback on Ups & Downs

By SnowflakeStar GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
SnowflakeStar GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"Ups & Downs" by Jayne Moynihan is a sports piece that talks about the deal of wining or losing and the mental state after each type of situation. In the piece, the author writes about the sport known as basketball. Now, we all know that feeling of winning. A thrill that can be felt when you or a group of people have achieved a state where in the moment you know that you have beaten your opponents in whatever it is that you were doing. Same thing in this article. The writer talks about how your mental state of winning can affect your judgement about how hard you work the next time around because of the thrill of your win, something that is not only relatable, but written in a fantastic way.

Like mentioned before, winning and the mentality of winning is relatable for everyone, which is clearly stated in the article. In "Ups & Downs," the author Jayne Moynihan writes "Mentallywe thought we'd won, so physically we stopped trying. I watched my team - deemed one of the best in the state - let this paramount game slip through our fingers. None of us on the bench had comforting words for those who had collapsed in disappointment as the last buzzer rang. It can only be described as gut wrenching." This shows that when you win, you mentally fwel as if you don't need to put in any effort, but in reality you still do. However after defeat you also need to ask "how do we rise up again?" an amazing lesson learned in Jayne Moynihan's "Ups & Downs."