"Living With Asperger's" | Teen Ink

"Living With Asperger's"

By rainygrace GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
rainygrace GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

of course it is happening inside your head, harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real? - albus dumbledore

I don't think anyone really understands the severity of Asperger's syndrome. Some of you may say, "Oh I'm socially impaired." In reality, you probably aren't, you probably have a lot of friends. People living with Asperger's actually do have a problem making friends. It's a form of ASD where the victim has an obsessive interest in something, is unable to open up, and has inability to understand emotions. Can you imagine not being able to feel as so many others in this world do? According to the article, "Living With Asperger's" written by Brianna Arsenault, Asperger's is a disorder that more and more children are acquiring each year. Her brother was diagnosed at the age of 13. He struggles with anxiety, intrusive thought obsession, and depression. He isn't the only one either!

Learning even just a little bit about Asperger's syndrome opened my eyes to this heartbreaking reality. Children are diagnosed with AS. They have trouble understanding emotions. They want to make friends but their disability- excuse me, diffability stands in the way. According to the article, "To me, AS is not a disability. I do not see my brother as disabled. I prefer to describe those awesome and often highly intelligent individuals as having different abilities." To have different abilities is basically what it is to have Asperger's. Although, it comes along with some problems that many children shouldn't face, it still makes them pretty amazing. If I had Asperger's, I don't know what I'd do. Understanding emotions is something we take for granted and we shouldn't. People with Asperger's want to love, they want to feel. So why don't we help them, one emotion at a time.