Feedback on "Ending 10 Years of Silence" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Ending 10 Years of Silence"

November 6, 2015
By debasree PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
debasree PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
21 articles 2 photos 14 comments

Molestation: it is a real thing but rarely understood. It haunts some around us and we pay no thought as that 12 year old across from you cracks a joke about it. In "Ending 10 Years of Silence," Alexandra Silva tells the story of how she was molested and how she kept silent about it for 10 years. Silva beautifully explains how she came out about it and how it made her stronger.

 

Reading Silva's experience, it made me wonder about people building up their lives after they are assaulted. It put into perspective the emotional aspects of molestation rather than the physical one parents and authority warn us about. The author is courageous as she approaches her mother. She says "the words fell out my mouth in piles" and "it felt like a weight had been lifted from my chest." This emotional baggage she felt had waned away and the reader understands that this pain she felt was not easily dealt with. Her confession made her come closer to terms with her past and made her look farther up her path because either way, that is where we all end up.